You brush your teeth every day and it seems like a simple enough task, but you would be surprised to know about the fact that many people are not doing it right. Here are some things that you need to know about brushing your teeth:
- Always make sure that you angle your toothbrush at 45 degrees towards your gums.
- Brush your teeth two or more times in one day for at least 2 minutes.
- It’s better that you use a soft-bristled brush so that it can easily fit in all areas of your mouth.
- Use back and forth motion over each tooth gently with the help of your toothbrush.
- Start by brushing the outer surface of your teeth, then move towards the inner surface, and lastly brush the chewing surface.
- To properly brush the inner surface of your teeth, turn your brush in a vertical position and use up and down movements.
- To prevent bad breath, make sure that you brush your tongue as well since a lot of bacteria builds up on your tongue.
- It is better that you opt for a fluoride-containing toothpaste that is also approved by ADA.
- Make sure that you replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months or when the bristles of your toothbrush start fraying, because once your toothbrush starts fraying it will be harsh on your teeth and your teeth will start wearing down more easily.
- After recovering from any sort of illness you should replace your toothbrush as it can give a home to bacteria and make you sick again.
Oral care is not limited to just brushing your teeth, it also involves flossing regularly and getting a professional cleaning. You can get more information by GDPUK recommendations on tooth brushing.